KDC’s work is made possible entirely through the generous support of individuals, businesses, churches and other organizations from the community who give their time, talent and financial support. KDC is dependent on our volunteers. They are truly a blessing and an answer to our prayers. We have two types of volunteer opportunities available, group projects and individual service. To learn more about how to get involved and what you can do to help out, see below.
How Can I Help?
- Devotions – we welcome you to lead devotions, held at 9 am each day for our guests.
- Direct Response Servants – meet with our guests. Listen, assist and encourage them through one on one counseling.
- STEP – assist participants with job readiness, skill development, motivation and goal setting, computer skills. Mentors, internships, financial support are needed.
- Warehouse Organizers – every day KDC receives household items, clothing and furniture and more. Items need to be sorted, organized and distributed to our guests.
- Drivers – are needed to pick up furniture donations using KDC’s truck Monday, Thursday, and Friday 9 am – 4 pm.
- Friends of KDC – join our Special Event Fundraising group.
- Simple Treasures Re-Sale Store – volunteers are needed to work in the store Monday – Friday 10am-5pm and Saturdays 10am-2pm
- Special Events – we are always looking for volunteers to help with our Treasure Sales (April and October) and Party in the Park in June.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Janitorial Tasks
- Holiday Events – Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Service Projects – Community Beautification
- Financial Support
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew 7: 7-8
KDC is dependent on our volunteers and the community to get involved. They are truly a blessing and an answer to prayer. Here are the office and administrative volunteer positions we depend on:
Bill DeGroot retired in 1989. He worked for 40 years at James River Corporation. He started at KDC in 1990 in the warehouse driving to pick up donated appliances.
In 1992, Bill was asked by Art Hoekstra, the Director, to come and work at KDC as the accountant part-time. When the grant money from Senior Services called Green Thumb which put senior citizens back to work, ran out for his position, he remained to volunteer in that position until he left KDC in 2017 at the age of 92. We have never met a more humble man. Bill is a member of Westwood CRC since 1952, The day it was organized. Bill has been a faithful member since day one. Bill has been married to Alice for 70 years. We praise God for His faithful servant, Bill. We will miss his presence here at KDC.
Direct Response Servant
Caring individuals who listen to guests and share Christ’s love are the gifts of a Direct Response Servant. They assess individual needs and assist in both tangible and spiritual ways. Ability to commit to a consistent time frame each week is preferred; complete training is given to all interested volunteers.
KDC has a truck. We need a driver to help with picking up furniture and appliances donations. Also, many of our guests who receive furniture have no way to bring it to their home – KDC would like to help by delivering furniture, on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 9 am – 1 pm. A valid driver’s license and good driving record are required.
KDC is open the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month from 9 am to 1 pm to receive donations and allow guests to pick up furniture. Volunteer(s) oversee donations and help load furniture as needed.
Volunteers are needed to help price items on a regular basis to prepare for our bi-annual sales. Treasure Sales are held in April and October. We have chair people but are looking for assistance to set up and price the week of the sale, working during the two-day sale and cleaning up.
Volunteers to pick up donations that KDC will receive from Toys for Tots; help to sort donations and setting up for the annual distribution of toys to KDC guests.
Office and Administrative
Welcome and register guests. Answer phones and manage the waiting room. This is a challenging, interesting and interactive job.
Help in exploring and writing grants is necessary to secure adequate funding for KDC programs and operations.
From making photocopies, helping with mailings, and writing notes of appreciation, There are many ways an office volunteer can contribute.